Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Chapin HighChest Making a Gooseneck Molding Part 2 - Step 14


I have decided to start over on another practice gooseneck.  This time I will make it with the top piece as one at 1 1/4 inch, this is the way it will be made out of cherry for the chest.

As you can see I traced the pattern on an 1 1/4 inch piece of soft maple. Then I cut away 3/8 of an inch on all but the volute. I did that on a band saw. Then I cut off the waste with a hand saw and flattened the board.


I also made a new template for the volute. This is the pattern on the chest that is at Winterthur. I like it better than the one I have been using.


I cut away the front part of the top molding because it is waste.  Then with my router mounted over head to my radial arm saw I am able to cut the two rabbets along the front edge of the molding.  I did not complete the rabbets, a portion will have to be carved.
I have used this overhead routing before, I have a youtube video in my channel on using it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTL29v_HFPY


Using the hand routing technique I used before I put a partial odgee on the molding where I could access it.  This helps with the carving by having the shape to follow.



I drew a line to make a spiral for the volute, then using a hand saw I made a saw kerf all the way around the spiral.  This helps with the carving.


You can see me taking off the waste around the volute.  I'll have to put the pattern on again after I carve the ramp for the volute.


Below I have carved the cove and the pattern into the volute as well as extended the ogee and rabbets to the volute


 Now I have rounded over the volute so it looks like a donut.


Now I need to cut away the waste from the back of the molding.



I cut out the lower portion of the molding on the bandsaw and roughed out the cove with a cove router bit.  This removed a lot of the waste. Here I am carving it to shape with a 1 inch #5 gouge.

Once it is flush with the 3/8 inch rabbet on the bottom I will use the router to cut out the bead.


Here I have routed the bead on the bottom and cleaned it up and extended it to the circle with carving.
So it is ready to be mated to the top piece.



I mitered the edge and tacked it to the upper chest to see how it looked.  I also put a sample piece of the lattice behind the molding to help with the spacing since this lattice will be behind the entire top moldings.


I am satisfied with the plan to make the goosenecks.  But I still have some final carving to do.
The under side of the volute need two curved rows.

 I did one and it was not very good since I made it exactly opposite of the way I should have, so I had to start over on my other practice piece.

 Here I am doing it correctly.

The pattern on the bottom is complete. Glad I practiced the carving.


I think I am ready to make the good ones out of the cherry stock.  So I am going to mill the stock and get started.

Here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment