Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Mahogany Curved Blockfront Chest Finishing & Complete Step 9

I have started the finishing of the chest by sanding everything to 180 grit sand paper.  Then I wiped it down with a tack rag to help remove the dust.
I sprayed a 1/2 pound cut of blonde shellac as a sealer.  Then I was ready to spray a mixture of Lockwood dyes for the color.


I am using a HVLP setup from Earlex with a 1mm needle because the liquid dye is a very thin mixture.

After I spray the dye, I let it dry and then rub it out with a gray 3m scotch pad.  If I need to lighten an area, I use a wet rag to lighten the color.

Now I am ready to apply the finish coats of shellac. I am spraying a 2 lb cut of blonde shellac.

I spray 4 coats.  I usually wait a couple of hours between coats.


After applying the 4 coats of shellac I wet sand the surface with 400 grit sand paper and mineral spirits. I wipe off the residue with a rag.


This is how the finish looks after wet sanding.



I spray one more coat of shellac and then I am ready for final rub out. Here is am using 0000 steel wool to get the finish smooth after the last coat of shellac.



The top has been rubbed out with the steel wool and then rubbed out with special dark wax from Minwax. The dark wax adds contrast and does not leave white dry specks of wax.


Here I am applying the wax to the case sides.


I glued on the top with the sliding dovetail and then nailed on four pieces of ship lap pine boards for the back.  I leave a gap  between the boards so they can expand with the climate.


I mounted the hardware as I waxed each of the drawers.  I also installed the drawer stops in the front under the bottoms of the drawers. The stops are 1/16 inch thick.


Looks like I am all done.  Now I have to do some honey do's before I start the next project.


Here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment